Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Tromso

Sunday afternoon I ended up in Tromso for a 24 hour stop. The city is also known as "Paris of the North". It is located at almost 70 degrees North. It is the same height as Victoria Island in Canada - or North of Fort Yukon in Alaska. The snow had already arrived there.
The hour before pickup I spent in the hotels sauna. It is located at the top of the hotel and has a nice panorama view of the city and mountains. It had a temperature above 105C / 221F so walking out into the cold air just a few minutes later was just a relief.

Last Friday I changed to winter-tires. It showed out to be a wise move. This weekend the first snow arrived where I live as well. It is actually still snowing as I write this. I am off to work in a couple of hours and can't actually say that I look forward to todays delays whith deicing and slippery aprons and runways. On top of it all Air Traffic Control is short manned and this as well leads to delays and cancellations.

9 comments:

JonBen said...

I don't know what kind of crazy map you saw Victoria Island on! But Tromso looks mighty beautiful :-)

Unknown said...

I am not sure about this but isn't Victoria Island and Vancouver Island one and the same?

Beautiful Photo on Tromsø!

Norwegian said...

Hi "AL", To my knowledge Victoria Island is not known as Vancouver Island. Vancouver Island is close by Vancouver city while Victoria Island is located at the northenrnmost parts of Canada.
Roger

Kurt said...

This looks attractive, if a bit cold.

Simone said...

This photo is stunning. I love how the freezing cold makes the air so crisp and the colors so vibrant.

Simone said...

This photo is stunning. I love how the freezing cold makes the air so crisp and the colors so vibrant.

Unknown said...

Thanks for info :)

JonBen said...

Ha! Well that was bound to happen in public one of these days! I live in Vancouver, but am from Halifax. Ever since I moved out here I have been constantly calling Vancouver Island Victoria Island... because you know that's where Victoria is. Vancouver is where I am and Victoria is over there, so I always say Victoria Island unless I am being supper careful, which I seldom am :)

Sorry 'bout that Roger, my bad!

Norwegian said...

Maybe there is some kind of petition you can file... ;-)