Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Azores




Yesterday I flew to the Azores. It was a long day scheduled to 13 h and 20 min. It did not make things any better that I found a tear in one of the main wheels when I did the walk around. We had to replace the wheel and we were 50 minutes delayed when we finally pushed from gate.

The trip itself was uneventful. I got to try the HF (High Frequency) radio for the first time as we flew into an Oceanic Clearance area. The cabin crew served us snacks, drinks (non alcoholic :-) ) and hot meals on the way down and up.

The real challenge on these long flights is to keep oneself alert and keeping the body from getting to stiff.

I should rather fly long haul. Their flight legs are not much longer than what we produce in a day, and they are flying with extra crew to get some relief enroute. Plus they end up at some exotic destination where they hopefully get a nice and relaxing stop. We just end up dead tired back in Oslo again ready for a new days work in 12 hours.

On the positive side I got to practice some of my newly learned Portuguese with the radio controllers at Santa Maria.

No comments: