Monday, May 02, 2005

Rollerblades



I have never tried rollerblading before, but today I stopped by a sport shop and bought myself a pair. I also had to buy myself some protective equipment.

So around noon today I put on my knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, bicycle helmet and rollerblades. Quite a sight, I guess.

The neighbors then got to witness a show starring a white male in his mid thirties trying to balance on 8 wheels. I spent the first 15 minutes trying to learn how to turn and stop those things. The little brake thing on the back of my right shoe didn't do me much good. It only worked for me at low speeds. I guess I shall have to get some better balance before I can utilize it fully. Until now the best way for me to stop is to make turns.

I then went on a 20 minute ride around the neighborhood. I have never really paid any attention to the asphalt before - but today I learned that there are several types. The best is the one that is completely laminate.

I returned after half an hour. I guess that should be enough the first day. I have used muscles I haven't used for ages.

Lately I have been gaining some extra kilos, and I hope this shall help me get in better shape again.

And - I did not fall once. (I did not dare)

1 comment:

JonBen said...

Don't feel too bad, turning in circles is the only way I can stop myself while skating (on ice), and I am Canadian so this is a rather large embarrassment :$)

Also I have taken to biking to the school recently to shed some unwanted kilos, so I am with you there bro :)