Monday, October 11, 2004

The First Snow

The day before yesterday it happened. The first snow. We were in Luleaa in Sweden, and were on our way to take a late dinner when the first flakes came floating down. They melted as soon as they touched the ground.
We hurried on and ended up at a Thai restaurant where we enjoyed a good pizza and a banana split for dessert.

However, last night we had a layover in Kiruna, a small mining-town in the far North of Sweden. The temperature was -6C/25F. And there was snow on the ground. We landed just before the sun settled at 5 pm. I got checked in on my room as the last lights faded over the hills and the city lights switched on. It was a magical polar light.

I am writing this at a short groundstop in Stockholm. The wake up call came at 4.30am this morning. It is 9 am now and I am still in the process of waking. I do not understand why these Swedes need to get up and fly somewhere at that time of day.
This afternoon I shall end up in Malmö, close to Copenhagen. I am due for another early morning tomorrow so I am guessing it will be an easy and quiet evening tonight.

1 comment:

sophia lee said...

hi, u posted a comment on my blog (pinkasme),
since i've bn soooooo outta reach travelling n no computer connection, i didn't c ur post til now. i really regret not seeing it, since i was in longyear... n oslo as well, should've gotten some tips. too late now, i'm back in cali. tho i did fly SAS to tromse n svalbard. perhaps our paths had crossed unknowingly.
but, i must say, it's a very beautiful country, will visit again.
thnx for writing me